Thursday, April 28, 2011

Boot Windows 7 from USB~

.: It's a tragedy, but, never mind, we can do it~~ 

This is a story about our Natsys 1Malaysia netbook getting slow and slower each day using Windows 7 Starter. The first time the first day that netbook come, oh, my world now becomes borderless. I can surf the Net and learn the other side of Malaysia anytime and anywhere I want. Until, my 4 year old nephew ruin the laptop and shatters and crumbles my online world..

The problem is not that critical, he just.. I don't know how he do it, but every font and texts and icons inside that netbook become so enormously large. I thought I'm going hyperopia, but I'm not. I searched and googled and do some study from Youtube videos how to revert the font settings back to normal but none of it works. So, we sent it back to their original service center and ask them to repair the netbook.

To my dismay, after we get our netbook back, it is installed with a pirated Windows 7 Ultimate, not the Starter version. And one of my sister accidentally do the Windows update and then we get then 3 days warning because we are a victim of counterfeit software. Too bad I didn't format it before the warning expires and then we live with a blackened Windows screen to stare all the time, *hurmmmm..*

The one sold at PC Image was not in a box like this.
Our netbook does not include any OS DVD, only Windows 7 exe inside my D: partition, together with the netbook drivers. But that netbook doesn't have any optical disc drive, and how can I install my OS if I cannot boot it from my D: partition? To make it more complicated, the screen was black all the time, and I forgot how to explore Windows using the 'cmd' thing, and I don't have any friends with Windows 7 Starter DVD. *hurmmmm....*

(By the way, some says that there is no such thing as Windows 7 Starter DVD, but I remember I see many of them at PC Image Wisma Saberkas that other day. Around + RM150 I think..)

Fast forward, I borrow a Windows XP CD with an external optical drive from a friend to install it inside that netbook. And later re-install Windows 7 Starter again because I don't want to use Windows XP anymore. You may ask why I did it that way, I did it because that it's the only way I can think to access Windows 7 installer from the D: drive. Later I install win7 (override the XP) and alright, our original OS is back~

Second fast forward, it's getting much more slower than usual. It is understandable when Firefox 4.0.1 always not responding, but how come IE also become very slow when browsing the internet? The boot time also increased a little bit, and chkdsk is more common now. What happen to my Win7???

Maybe fresh installation should help?

So, equipped with 3 more USB, this is what I did:
  • first USB installed with Active@ Kill Disk. Erase everything so there is no more "rubbish" inside my harddisk. 
  • second USB for storing stuffs. As a place to back up the original Win7 installer and netbook drivers and other documents. 
  • third USB is installed with bootableWin7 Starter. I learned doing it using the Ubuntu USB installer. 

After finished transferring my stuff, I erase the hard disk first, and later install Windows7 Starter again. Took me almost 4 hour to complete the OS and driver installation. I better add more RAM later, as 1 GB is not enough.

Now everything goes back to normal (but boot time seems a little slow?), and internet browsing is much faster. Both IE 8 and Fx 4 is working just fine. The only problem I had now is I got one unknown device inside the Device Manager. Before this I use the driver installer that is already inside the D: partition, but this time I use drivers downloaded from the Natsys website. I am very sure I installed everything, but how come there is unknown device there? Hurmmmm... :-?

I'm thinking of doing rollback and install my drivers from D:, but let search at Google first. I might found other solution there.

slow start up with windows 7 starter on 1005HA

My Windows 7 Starter boot screen is like his, but it didn't boot that long..


Ooigi.blog: "7 Starter only?? It's much better than having the black counterfeit screen again."
Noooooooooooooo...
:.

No comments:

Post a Comment